Campus News

Delaware State loses to Georgetown in overtime


A good start to a disappointing game. 

On September 11, 2021, Delaware State took on Georgetown at the DSU Alumni Stadium. Coming off a huge win, the DSU Hornets were ready to go 2-0 in the season.

In the first quarter, both teams were battling back and forth. With no points on the board, the Hornets and Hoyas both got off to a slow start. The Hornets knew it was time to gain momentum, as they picked it up late in the first quarter. Defensive Back, David Bowman, cuts off the pass to Hoyas’ Wide Receiver, Joshua Tomas, and intercepts the ball.

Defensive Back (David Bowman), Photo Courtesy of Chris Larson.

In the opening of the second quarter, Sy’veon Wilkerson runs an 11-yard touchdown. Joseph Delgado’s extra point was good, making the lead 7-0. Jerrish Halsey, Wide Receiver, scores his first touchdown of the season, with a 14-yard pass from Tylik Bethea. Once again, the extra point from Delgado was good. The Hornets came ready to play, as they extended their lead to 14-0.

Running Back (Sy’veon Wilkerson) scores the first touchdown of the game, Photo Courtesy of Chris Larson.

Wide Receiver (Jerrish Halsey) scores the second touchdown for the Hornets, Photo Courtesy of Chris Larson.

Scoring the only touchdowns of the game, fans were excited about how the Hornets were playing. The Hoyas had many mistakes in the first half, which worked in the Hornets favor. 

The second half was a change in energy, as the Hoyas started making plays and scoring, while the Hornets were losing yardage for penalties. Justin Fonteneaux, Hoyas’ linebacker, intercepted the ball at the 46-yard line, which gave Georgetown all the drive to get back in the game. At the start of the second-half, Hoyas’ quarterback, Joseph Brunell, throws a 17-yard pass to Sergio Portobanco, for their first touchdown of the game. The extra point by Hoyas’ kicker, Conor Hunt was successful.

Nervous, frantic, and anxious were what fans were feeling, when the Hoyas suddenly made a comeback. With less then ten minutes remaining, the Hornets were still up 14-7. However, they were not able to capitalize off of any plays and the Hoyas used that to their benefit. Hoyas’ Wide Receiver, Cameron Crayton, scored a 36-yard touchdown and Hunt’s extra point was good.

With time running out in the game, Georgetown had one last shot to win but Conor Hunt’s field goal was unsuccessful. At the end of regulation, the score was tied 14-14. Hoping the game would end in a Hornets win, going to overtime was the last result fans anticipated. Receiving the ball first in overtime, the Hornets had a chance to win the game. However, Joseph Delgado’s 37-yard field goal was blocked and Georgetown received the ball. Hoyas’ hero, Joshua Staley, rushed for a five-yard touchdown to win the game.

Captains (Jawain Granger, Trey Gross, and Matthew Derks), Photo Courtesy of Chris Larson.

After their performance, some DSU players had words for how they played collectively. Star Wide Receiver, Trey Gross states, “The game was a reflection of how practice went. No practice is perfect but the way little mistakes made important impacts in the game hurts us and the result became the result.” Captain Matthew Derks asserts, “Disappointed we didn’t play up to our standard and shot ourselves in the foot. We are upset by the way we played. We believed we were a stronger team going into the game, but because of mental mistakes on our end, we gave up penalties and plays that cost us the game.” Defensive Back, Jawain Granger states, “It was a tough fought game. You can see how much we are progressing as a team. The scoreboard wasn’t what we wanted but we never gave up.”

Blowing a 14-0 lead in the first half, the Hornets took this loss hard. They now improved their record to 1-1. Trying to shake this loss off, the Hornets look to back bounce in their next game. They will play on September 18th, at East Tennessee State.

Categories: Campus News, HBCUs, Sports

Leave a Reply