FIVE Surprising Foods You Should Avoid Feeding Fido!

Stephan Browne-Blackman

Dog Staring at a Plate of 4 donuts /

Any dog lover knows dogs are like family. And as such, many dog owners try to include their dogs in everything they do! From playtime to bedtime, their dogs are there the whole way. But what about dinner time?

The diet dogs can have is very different from the diet humans can have. For example, raw meat is to humans as chocolate is to dogs.

This can lead to some confusion about what to feed Fido when the whole family is chowing down.

Here are five foods to AVOID giving your canine at mealtime.

  1. Grapes and Raisins
White and Red Grapes Behind a Bowl of Golden Raisins /

Though the toxin inside that causes this is unknown, both, grapes and raisins, can cause kidney failure in dogs. Even just eating one or two grapes could mean a hospital visit with your precious pet.

  1. Onions and Garlic

Onions and Garlic /

Both, onions and garlic, can cause gastrointestinal irritation and upset in dogs. They can also lead to anemia and cause damage to red blood cells. In other words, serious tummy trouble and health issues for your dog. So be cautious next time you’re preparing dinner.

  1. Salt
Salt in a Wooden Bowl /

Loads of salt in a dog’s diet is not good for them. It can cause an increase in urination, vomiting, and even seizures if they ingest too much. A 30-pound dog should not consume more than 100mg of sodium on any given day. Consider this next time you want to give your dog a french fry. What’s delicious to you could mean danger to them.

  1. Chocolate
Broken Pieces of Chocolate /

Though some may think this is “common knowledge”, it cannot go without being said. Chocolate is extremely dangerous to dogs. When ingested, it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and even worse in dogs. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is for dogs. However, dogs should still not consume any chocolate at all.

  1. Cinnamon
Cinnamon Sticks next to a Bowl of Cinnamon /

Now, cinnamon is not technically toxic to dogs. However, when ingested it can cause some discomfort in some cases. In extreme cases, it can lower a dog’s blood pressure and cause diarrhea and vomiting. It is generally best to not feed dogs any cinnamon.

These are only some of the many foods dogs should not have. It is good to be well educated on this subject so you can take the best care of your pet.

 For more information on how to better feed your pet, please visit and

Categories: Education, Features, Health

Leave a Reply