The Delaware State Football program is looking to add current students to the program as walk-ons for the 2020 season. An informational meeting for students interested in walking on was held Thursday, January 23 in Conwell Hall.
The meeting was held in order to provide students with the knowledge about the program and give the opportunity to become a DSU Football player. The football team currently has 99 current players with a full time coaching staff led by Rod Milstead.
Speaking with two players from the DSU Football team, the thought of growing the team even more brought excitement.
Junior Dillon Marshall explained that “Growing the team even more is going to allow for opportunities for a lot of guys on the team to find their own place.” He continued by saying “Our team is like a giant family, and being able to grow our family is a win-win for everyone involved”.
Junior Savion Hopes also added that “If we’re getting more kids on the team, that means that we’re going to have more people to practice and learn from.”
Prospective walk-ons must meet the following requirements:
- Be registered with the NCAA Eligibility Center.
- Be currently enrolled full-time at Delaware State (minimum of 12 credits).
- Hold a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00 and be in good academic standing.
- Bring a copy of your Delaware State University transcript to the meeting.
- Have graduated high school on or before Spring 2016.
- It is highly encouraged to have, at minimum, playing experience at the high school varsity level and be able to provide a recommendation from a high school coach, in addition to any providing video for evaluation purposes.