Features

Dangers of Drinking and Driving

drinking3

Young man toying with his life and that of others.

Johquin Wiley

Jordan is in his sophomore year of college and plans on joining a fraternity. He’s breezing by school and thinks he can drink his way out of his stressful days. Jordan doesn’t know the level he’s reaching before he’s totally impaired. He drinks before parties and then drinks more at the parties. He’s supposedly driving others and himself home after this party tonight. I believe he hasn’t been told of the dangers of drinking and driving?

The teenage death toll from drinking and driving was 1,393 in the United States in 2007. That equals up to nearly four fatalities every day of the year.

Of the teen drivers killed on the road in 2006, 31% had been drinking, according to data posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website. Alcohol distorts a person’s perception and judgment which makes people’s reaction time slower. Alcohol leads people to taking chances and risking others into danger. Alcohol has the effect to make people do things they wouldn’t do if sober.

Understanding how alcohol affects the body is important for teenagers because a lot of accidents are the teenage age group. Approximately 20% of alcohol is absorbed through the stomach. Most of the remaining 80% is absorbed through the small intestine. When the amount of alcohol in the blood exceeds a certain level, respiratory (breathing) system slows down markedly, and can cause a coma or death, because oxygen no longer reaches the brain.

drinking 2

DUI stands for “drinking under the influence.” DWI can stand for “driving while intoxicated” or “driving while impaired.” The differences vary from state to state. DUI/DWI is a significant problem in America and carries significant punishment. Having a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08% or higher is considered illegal for driving purposes. Generally, it takes 3 or 4 drinks for an adult person to reach a 0.08% BAC.

According to https://www.verywellmind.com/drunk-driving-the-dangers-63002 traffic fatalities have been on the decline since 2007, alcohol-related crashes still kill about 10,000 people per year in the United States. Motor vehicle wrecks are the leading cause of death in the United States for persons under age 24. Safe driving requires the ability to concentrate, make good judgements and quickly react to situations. However, alcohol affects these skills, putting oneself and others in danger.

drinking

During the weekends if planning on attending a function, be sure to have a designated sober driver or be ready to use the transportation apps. Surround yourself with people who are also being smart and careful. Ameer Bennett gave a few tips on how to self-discipline oneself when out partying.

Ameer stated:
“Firstly, think of the lives you saved by not risking other driver’s life. Don’t be selfish. The road does not adapt to your misjudgment and slow reactions. Secondly, self-discipline helps showing the type of person you are. Don’t go back on your words once the atmosphere starts changing.
Thirdly, show great character by being accountable and dependable. Be that great person who got all their friends home safe, plus yourself. “

Chad Chaevanees, he shared his thoughts on drinking and driving. He stated “I feel it’s bad. Drinking and driving isn’t the safest. Your judgement and reaction time become impaired. Being behind the wheel after drinking is bad for others on the road. Your endangering so many more people than just yourself. Don’t drink and drive. Simply use designated transportation apps.”

Drinking and driving will only give someone a bad representation and they can seriously hurt oneself or someone else. Danger is an understatement, because we know the results of drinking and driving. Safety is always the first and main rule when operating and vehicle. Don’t be selfish and not think about the others that can be harmed off a bad decision.

Categories: Features, Health, Uncategorized

Tagged as:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s