This year at homecoming week on October 26, 2018, there was a ceremony regarding the newly erected statue of Dr. Jerome Holland at DSU.
Dr. Jerome H. Holland was President of Delaware State University from 1953 to 1960. He was critical in turning around Delaware State University’s reputation after losing accreditation in 1949. He restored it in 1957 and accomplished so much more for the college.
- Changed the composition of the DSC Board of Trustees to include eleven members
- First white faculty members were hired and the first white students enrolled
- Increased from 167 student enrollment in 5 years
- Received a combined $2.5 million in major capital improvement funding
- Created the first-ever Alumni Office in 1954
Dr. Holland was honored by previous President Dr. Harry L. Williams, who was the one to begin commissions for the statue. This idea was first begun around February of 2015 and is now officially completed.
Photo courtesy of Delaware State News
Brad Vanneman of Wilmington was the artist who worked throughout the past two years to build this bronze statue standing at over eight feet tall.
Over one full year of work was put behind gathering a correct image of Dr. Holland by the artist. His work was done in Wilmington, Delaware. Below is a small-scale replica of the statue.
Photo Courtesy of Ian Gronau from Delaware State News
Friday, October 26, there was a ceremony in front of the campus of Delaware State University to unveil the statue in its final standing point on the triangle plot of grass located at the front end of the University’s Pedestrian Mall.
All students were welcomed to enjoy the event. According to Carlos Holmes, DSU historian, there were even some of Dr. Holland’s grandchildren present to see the statue.
For more background information, please click the YouTube link below for a full interview by Carlos Holmes regarding the erection of the statue.